To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Jenever Museum (Gin Museum) in Hasselt, the largest jenever-bar in Belgium is due to be built during the 8th Jenever Festivities on Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 October 2007.
Davy Jacobs, coordinator of the Jenever Museum, explains:
We have invited all (57) existing Belgian jenever producers to celebrate this birthday with us. For them, we are building a mega-bar in the Witte Nonnenstraat and surroundings. The aim is that the jenever distillers will bring all their jenever flavours to Hasselt. Already more than 20 producers from Brussels, East and West Flanders and the rest of Belgium have promised to come. On average, each producer has about eight to ten flavours. So with a bit of luck we will be able to offer – on top of the 110 jenevers from the museum – another 500 kinds of jenever!
As well as the bar, events at the Festivities include the traditional waiters’ race. The “Borrelmanneke”, a popular figure at the festival, will be offering shots of jenever to the public together with a mega shot-bar with non-stop popular music. The famous gin-fountain will return with free flowing jenever on an all-you-can-drink basis.
The Jenever Museum is located at 19, Witte Nonnestraat in Hasselt, Belgium
Infoline: +32 11 24 11 44
Guided tours can be reserved through Tourism Hasselt by calling +32 11 23 95 42.
- From 1 April to 31 October: Tuesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- From 3 November to 31 March: Tuesday to Friday from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Closed on Monday (except July and August), January (except for Christmas, 1 January, 24, 25 and 31 December
- Adults: € 3.50 each (includes a free shot of Jenever!)
- Young people between 12 and 18 years: € 1.50 each
- Children up to 12 years: free
- Groups (min. 15 people) € 2.50 each